Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wednesday 07/25/2007






07/25/07 Wednesday


LAST DAY AT MIDWAY ATOLL!! The G-1 airplane has a new GPS system and is in the air coming to get us. The extra week was nice, but will make it much more difficult to leave. We've gotten to know each other and the islanders much better, so it will be hard to say good-bye. Everyone is so extremely nice and I will miss them all!
Saturday, a Coast Guard ship came in as well as a NOAA ship, so they had a huge bonfire that night down at the pier. It was so much fun. We played sand volleyball prior to the bonfire and even though I'm horrible, it was a blast!
Monday we got to go to Spit and Eastern islands again to clean up debris that had washed up on the shore. You would not believe how much crap washes in from everywhere! We mainly worked on large ropes that the Monk Seals tangle themselves in. I grabbed a big chunk and took it into the water towards the boat. I had no clue, but several Gecko lizards took up residence in the rope I was carrying and once they hit the water, they figured they'd hitch a ride back to shore on me. I think the little guys are cute, but didn’t really enjoy them crawling all over me. They did give me a good rate on car insurance, though (get it...the Gecko from the Geico commercials?!). I felt one crawling on my head later. When we took the boat from Spit to Eastern, we saw about 150 dolphins and they swam next to the boat...it was amazing!! They swam with us for about 20 minutes, but the Wildlife manager wouldn't let us get in the water with them...BOO!!
We got to snorkel outside the reef yesterday and it was beautiful. We saw so many more fish and even saw another 3 foot black tip shark. I chased it to try and get a good picture, but it didn't like it very much.
Pictures:
-Someone taking a picture of me taking a picture of something...hmm.
-Reef shark
-White tern chick that doesn't look too happy that it had been disturbed!
-Albatross flying over a sea turtle (thanks, Pete!)
-Pile of debris collected in only a matter of hours

No comments: