Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday 07/13/2007








07/13/07 Friday the 13th...YIKES!

Wow, it's been a while! So much for updating my blog on a daily basis! I try to run in the morning, eat breakfast and then we usually go out on the water for 6 hours and I'm pooped! Actually had a land day on Tuesday and got to pick up Albatross puke. I guess the chicks vomit before they take off and try to fly and the scientists do experiments on what they yak up. It was amazing to see all of the plastic...bottle caps, toothbrushes, army men and even lighters. Eating so much plastic is a major cause of death to these birds, so don't litter and recycle!! I saw a parent that came back to feed it's chick yesterday and the chick was dead. The parent just stood there next to it and it was so heartbreaking!
We were out on the water for 8 hours taking pictures and collecting coral so I think we're on land again today. I saw a 3 foot black tip shark in the water yesterday. I was freaked for a moment and then I realized it was just as curious about me as I was about him (or her) and I calmed down. I swam back to the boat to get my camera, but of course it was gone.
One day next week we get to go to another island and pick up debris. Hopefully another day we get to go track the Monk Seals. I've seen a momma seal nursing it's baby 3x now. We're supposed to stay 150 feet away from them because they're endangered, but I might have gotten a tad closer than that!
Off to go pick up more bird puke! One more week of life on this remote island in the middle of nowhere. I can't wait to eat ice cream again! They have great brownies and cookies at the cafeteria, but no ice cream! Oh, and I miss Starbucks too! Have a great weekend!!
***Pictures
-An albatross chick; unfortunately we didn't get to see any at that stage while we were there. They had already lost their down and were getting ready to fly away. I stole this picture from Pete...thanks Pete!
-One of many attempts to save an Albatross that had flown into the water but let their wings drop - once that happens, the wings become too heavy and they just sit out in the water and die. :(
-Wendy and I climbing up on the reef wall
-Steve-O, Jamie, Angie, Barbara, Wendy and myself hanging out at the Clipper House after breakfast.
-Luis jumping off of the Cargo Pier
-Carcass of Albatross that had eaten too much plastic.

No comments: